Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Whoops

I had a post all ready for yesterday, and I realized I never put it up. My bad. Let us all note the importance of turning save draft on.

Ch. 1's beatdown continues. Well, beatdown isn't exactly the right word. I've spent a lot of time channeling Blanche and really getting in sync with her thoughts. This has lead to a much improved first chapter (I hope), and I sent it to a discerning friend who kindly agreed to read my ramblings and see how they measure up.

The best part about sitting down and really talking with your characters is the realizations you make. I could write an essay about Blanche, but sometimes she doesn't reveal things to me until we've reached a level of trust - a phenomenon that speaks of her character alone. I discovered some really deep-seated things about my protagonist that surprised even me. Just goes to show you that no matter how you birth them, your "kids" always end up evolving in ways you never realized.

No comments: