Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Don't Wanna

Don't you hate how it takes 30 days to make a habit, but one week of lazy, grumpy "I don't wanna's" to totally destroy it?

This can apply to anything - exercise, writing, our eating habits... the trudge uphill is so much harder than the roll downwards. It's such a pain, it's no wonder 1/3rd of all Americans are obese.

But then, I think about the things I tell myself I don't want to, and it's such a small, stupid things to complain to myself over, that it gives me the push to do them, even when I'd rather take the convenient option.

Yesterday, I really didn't want to go to the gym. I wanted to lie down, mope a little, and heck, eat some doritos. I don't have any doritos, and lying down was fruitless, so I hauled my complaining, whining butt to the gym. And even though I didn't do as well as I normally do, I didn't meet or exceed my usual end goals, I did the most important one - I finished. Sometimes, all it takes is that reminder from finishing to remind us we're doing it all for a reason.

And I don't really want those Doritos anymore, either.

1 comment:

Danyelle L. said...

This is so true. It's amazing how much work it takes to gain a habit, and how little one needs to do to lose it. >.<

*hugs* Good for you for finishing anyway!