Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Dear Tom

A friend of mine in my writing group recently passed away. Although we never met face to face, I considered Tom Stewart a friend and a comrade in arms, and his death came as a shock. Writing is more than a story. It's a battle, a challenge to not only write The Story but to make it comprehensible to a multitude of people.

I'll never forget when I first joined the Well. He was a submitting maniac with his novel, but Tom was always kind, a hard worker, and a helluva writer. He was also generous with his time and gave as good as he got. Although I will now sadly never get to meet him, I know that part of his writing passion lives on in me and others he's helped along the way, and I hope he knows that, even though he's gone.

Part of me still can't believe he's gone. I'm waiting to hear his latest thoughts as he finishes fine-tuning the novel and looking for a publicist. But as time goes on and the emails never come, I'm sure it'll hit home one day harder than I expect.

Rest in Peace, Tom. And Godspeed.

2 comments:

Lauralee said...

Holy crap that is so sad!

Alec said...

Wait, this isn't written by Madelyn Dunham? You're not Barack Obama's grandmama? I'm not as inspired and hopefilled by this blog as I initially was... You should probably post a disclaimer about this ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madelyn_Dunham